07 June 2014

[photo] Have You Seen This Bee? BECAUSE SHE'S AWESOME!!!

3109.
Earlier today we were at Tony's Garden Supply. This is a wonderful nursery near SE 104th and Holgate Boulevard and is the kind of hometown garden center I remember growing up … locally owned, very very friendly and very very knowledgeable.

We got a Yummy Mix pepper plant, a petunia (the really pretty kind with the dark, dark blue, almost indigo stripes), a big pot to do some transplanting in, and got some advice on how to save The Wife™'s Italian flat-leaved parsley plants. Free protips; you can't do better!

But it's a riot of color, and plants wontonly dripping with pollen, and where there's pollen … we kind of hope these days, from what we've heard, it's kind of grim for them … there's bees. And I hated bees as a kid, because stingy-stingy-owie-owie, but I'm an adult and I have maybe a better understanding of bee boundaries. And I saw honey bees and bumble bees, and since I read maybe a little too much news I fret over the fact that there aren't so many bees now. But they were chillaxin', lazily-but-efficiently picking up pollen from the flowering plants at the front gate.

I'd been wanting to pict a bee for an awful long time. They are fascinating creatures. So I pointed and shot and hoped, and reviewed the photos, and look at this, will you!


Not only did I get a fabulously clear picture of afore-intimated apian, I so lucked that I caught the wings, momentarily, at rest. And, I'm a leg man … and check out them shanks, yo, just brimming with pollen.

I am proud of this picture. And that is one awesome bee.

No comments: