17 June 2013

[writing] As Far As You Know, I Wrote Earthsea

2946.According to an idiot online expert system, I come off in print like one of my idols:



I write like
Ursula K. Le Guin
I Write Like. Analyze your writing!

I was thinking of putting this in my sidebar but I'm leaning toward not doing this thing. It's an interesting thing, kind of like getting a lottery scratch ticket and finding I won a grand, but it's a distraction, really. The decision is governed by rules of which I'm not aware, which are coded by human developers who layer their own assumptions thereunto. Also it's crufted over by advertising, so the ulterior motive is maybe the profit one and not all that hidden.

It's kind of easy to have an algorithm tell you your writing has Ursula K. LeGuin's voice and figure you've achieved something.

The object of my writing is maybe to be inspired by UKL, but not to be a clone of that.

My diary calls. 

2 comments:

Isaac Laquedem said...

I entered my second blog post of today, about the Windsor decision, and was told that I write like H.P. Lovecraft.

I'm holding out for Mark Twain.

Samuel John Klein said...

Well, I was originally hopeful for Mark Twain myself. Being as my first name's Samuel, I've always felt a kinship.