24 September 2018

The Old Joyce Hotel Sign

3573
The Wife™ has declared this photo to be Portland AF:


Well, it certainly is old Portland AF.

What this is is the sign for the old Joyce Hotel, over the corner of SW 11th Avenue and Harvey Milk Street (formerly Stark). And there is something evocative to the thing, the old flophouse sign, still there and still intact but for the stress of the years on the paint job, up against one of those classic downtown Portland street lamps, which I adore beyond sane reason.

It profoundly emotionally moved her, which is a thing that I'll be even amateur photographers like myself as well as pros are surprised; you never know which one of your compositions will grab someone by the heart.

And so that goes.

1 comment:

Rimpy said...

I've been trying to figure out the writing behind the neon. It doesn't look like it says "Joyce". It looks like it starts with a "T" and ends with an "S", but I can't quite make out the other letters. Any thoughts?