09 June 2020

Positively Southwest 4th Avenue, September 2008

3691... and another throwback photo from twelve years ago. On the same walk me and the Brown Eyed Girl took around the south end of downtown Portland back in September 2008 I found an angle I adore looking north, as I did in entry 3686, which inspired me to take those pictures.

It's a lovely prospect, truly. And in 2008, here's the way it looked:


The Wells Fargo tower on the left, the Portland Plaza on the right. Must be something about being born a country mouse that I have never really tired of looking at and walking amongst the tall buildings in downtown. And there's a thing about Wells Fargo - strangely, it's austere beauty doesn't work for everyone. I can't understand this. It's a lovely simple thing, poetic in its minimalism. Flares gracefully yet modestly at the bottom (a little of that can be seen here if you look), and seems to encapsulate the aesthetic that seemed to inform everything in the 1970s from telephones to the look of the space hardware in 2001: A Space Odyssey. It was clean, simple and hopeful. I mean, there are people who bitch and moan about this building but I sure won't be one of them.

I guess it means something to me that's kind of atmospheric and ineffable. and even though I'm a certified city mouse of decades'-long standing, there's still a bit of the Silvertonian country mouse in me, and there always will be.

At least enough to go rapt at the tall buildings downtown.

Photos courtesy of the Vivitar ViviCam 3705. 3.3 MPx of technological wonder.

No comments: