28 April 2011

[logo_design] Google Chrome Logo … With A Bit Less Chrome

2613.I just now noticed this … I should keep up on Google Chrome browser news, especially since I love the logo quite a bit. Clever little thing.

When I started up Chrome today, just to go get a look at somthing in it, I noticed it had become, well, flat

New Google Chrome Logo

… and I knew it used to look a bit more pictorial:

Old Google chrome logo

 

Or as Steve Rura, designer, explains it:

Since Chrome is all about making your web experience as easy and clutter-free as possible, we refreshed the Chrome icon to better represent these sentiments. A simpler icon embodies the Chrome spirit — to make the web quicker, lighter, and easier for all.

Which, if you're going to evolve a logo design, is a good way to move - in concert with the animating idea, or at least as close as you can execute it. After being a bit surprised by the evolution, I found myself warming to it right away. So, for me, it's a good move.

Read all about it and look at some of the user explorations that inspired the move here: http://chrome.blogspot.com/2011/03/fresh-take-on-icon.html

No comments: