05 October 2005

[blog_design] First Lesson

Noting the size of my links list I've decided that a real nifty nav trick would be to put a links directory as one of the first things on the sidebar. I know anchors, or at least I thought I did. Just spent two days finding out the hard way that now you have to close name anchors too:

<a name="whatever">

Has to look like this:

<a name="whatever"></a>

Or the spacing will be all funny. Please make a note of it!

Also, in this very post, I've learnt highly useful and irritating things about the gt and lt bracket codes. This is hard work!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

anchor tags have always required an end tag. In fact, browsers have in the past encouraged you to be lazy - and allow unclosed continers like for div, li. But it's not good html, and won't validate. I suggest you use one of the online validators to do checking for that sort of error!

Samuel John Klein said...

Rob, thanks for the suggestion. You're right, now that I think about it, about the need to close all anchor tags, but since I was getting along for so long not having them I figured that was the way they were supposed to be...at least the name anchors, anyway.

Thanks also for the constructive suggestion for using one of the online validators. I hadn't thought of that.