09 October 2005

[pdx_history] One Cool Portland History Thing

...glimpses of Portland landscapes and maps from the past, courtesy of the City of Portland Office of Transportation (COPOOT).

The main Transportation history page is here. Almost forty subpages, each containing a revealing snapshot or map of Portland back almost to the beginning. Amongst my favorites:
I could, of course, go on forever. But that would ruin your fun. Check out my faves and hopscotch up and down the contents, or just go to the main page and go at it chronologically.

Your tax dollars at work, people!

4 comments:

brett said...

oh my god. thank you thank you thank you for posting about this. i am always on the lookout for history of pdx. i even found my home on the last photo of the buiding of the minnesota frwy.

well done sir.

Samuel John Klein said...

Ahh..you're welcome!

Boy, some of you sure work fast.

But, sincerely, happy to oblige. I was thrilled when I found it myself, that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I spent all morning on that website looking at old photos. Check out the Lake Oswego library's website. Some great aerial shots of the area, and surrounding areas.

Samuel John Klein said...

Thanks, schlockstar. Quite the thing, no? I loved the various scenes of what some urban planners wanted to do. I look at something like the Bennett plan that would have remade Portland into a European style and wonder what might have been; Look at the Moses plan and know that's where they got the idea for the Mount Hood Freeway.

Check out the Lake Oswego library's website. Some great aerial shots of the area, and surrounding areas.

Quite nice indeed. For those who may be interested in looking at it too, you'll find it here:

http://www.ci.oswego.or.us/photos/index.htm

The other local and historical interest L.O. pages can be found at through to "Special Collections" link on the navbar of the L.O. Libary site,

http://www.ci.oswego.or.us/library/spec.htm

Enjoy, everybody, and thanks, schlockstar.