16 June 2004

Getting AppleCared

With the 1-year hardware warranty on my PowerMac G4 up tomorrow I decided, at pretty much the last minute, to plump $249 on the AppleCare Protection Plan.

Why? Normally I'd laugh at extended warranties. But this time it makes sense. Considering that replacing the gorgeous 17" Apple Studio Display would cost $600-$700 if I bought it new (who knows what used availiblity would be? I wouldn't cross the street on those odds) and, while availible, hardware service may be quite expensive, the $249 (which is around eight per cent of what I had to spend to acquire the system and software I started out with) seems quite reasonable, covering phone support and hardware repair/replacement on a system I hope to use to help make my future living. And, I'm covered into 2006.

So, long story short, it seemed worth it. Guess what? "Peace of Mind" really is a marketing point.

No comments: