17 July 2004

Newish Ted Rall

Delayed in Linking due to Blogger malfing.

Read it and think beyond the title

As someone who is on the left (actually, it was center-left, but someone went and moved the center on me), I must sincerely say that I appreciate law, order, and a disciplined police and fighting force. I am a police and military fan. The Wife[tm] and I regularly watch Cops. It is an environment of law and order that make it possible to express a contrary opinion. And I will always offer my appreication to a Veteran.

Ted has it right, though. By offering military service in wars of dubious merit to people whom really have few other options for a living, the soul of our country is really being torn out, wadded up, and thrown away.

There are a good number of people who won't be coming back to live thier lives and have families, open businesses, be assets to thier employers and communities, make world-changing discoveries...an educated and motivated American is an enourmous engine of untapped possibility.

That's what has made America what we are and what we were. That's why America has been the great hope of the West.

Now, we will never know what we have lost.

So, support the troops. Because to stand and deliver on a promise of service is the greatest sacrifice anyone can make, and it takes true courage to make it in this time of no-exit-strategy.

No comments: