01 July 2004

Saturday Slant:My Life As A Cartoon

In this week's Slant, Pariah gave us the follwing question:

A freak electrical storm sucks you into your television—into a cartoon. Which cartoon character are you?

This was much harder to answer than I thought. This Q was posted last Saturday (n'cest pas) and it's taken me all week to come up with an answer.

Issat my final ansa? I donno, Reege. But here's what I come back to time and again:

I have a confession to make: I love the animated Pokemon series. The style, anime, is attractive. There is no such thing as an ugly anime character. Long have I envied the character Ash. He is on a quest to be the best and it is in his reach; his problems are clear and fairly simple. Plucky as the day is long, he can take advantage of every chance life throws his way. He's innocent and nai'ive but not stupid. He has a Pikachu for a sidekick, and as a best friend.

I envy him because he's found his dream early on and is going for it. Unlike me, who was completely in the dark about what I wanted to be until it was a bit late. He hasn't frittered away some of his chances; he drives himself because he can't wait to get where he's going, rather than out of that quiet desparation because maybe not so much time is available. And his foes, while relentless and implacable, are really rather stupid buffoons (Team Rocket...Jessie, James, and thier principal Pokemon, Meowth). They slow him down but are usually thier own downfall, and in the end Ash wins; his drive and goodness cannot be denied. He has the proper heart.

And honestly, there's not much I can bring to the character; Pokemon isn't (as many are aware) on a level that allows for much depth. I look upon such characters as something I would be if I had the choice to be someone, anyone, else. Though I think I could bring additional depth and intelligence to the persona, two areas that I feel to be my strong points, it could be argued that Ash doesn't need them...I kind of made that point myself already.

After all, I dream these dreams for escape. I am weighed down by cares, and despite my own personal pessimisms, I have the feeling that all my chances are not behind me. There's still room and hope, I suppose.

But if I had the chance I would be Ash, even if for a little while.

See the original post and links to other Slants:
The Saturday Slant - New Every Saturday Morning

No comments: