16 July 2004

Saturday Slant:Dear Blank

This last week's slant:

Dear ________, I’m sorry we never __________.
Fill in the blanks, then elaborate.


Dear Sister, I'm sorry we never stayed close.

I have a little Sister. She is a sweet person and very loving but has (to be honest but as gentle as I can) poor judgement skills. As a result of those, she has two (it must be said, very sweet and lovable) children (my neice and nephew, naturlich) who have problems of thier own because of the shifting environment they're forced to deal with.

She has always said I was an influence on her in the positive direction, enough, that my nephew bears my first name as his middle name. That's quite an honor. But side she says I'm an influence to her, I wonder why she didn't follow other examples I set for her, such as deliberation and caution in your personal life. Now, I'm no angel, certainly no Solomon, but here am I at 40mumble years old, my debt picture is blissfully simple, I have a smart The Wife[tm] who is utterly devoted to me, and I am finally in my own house that years of diligent work have made possible (that, and inheritance from a Mother-in-law and a Father who have gone on in the last four years).

Though I see that I am harvesting some of the fruits of a Puritan work ethic in a society where that is the norm, I am not rich...the new house is seeing to that. It's requiring some rearrangement of the budget, but I'm going to send my Sister a few hundred dollars. There will be some sacrifice because of that. But there is the chance she will be coming back home from the distant corner of Oregon she, for some insane reason, decided to run off to. And maybe she'll say "Hey" a little more often.

A few hundred bucks won't make up for years of being distant, but hopefully, it will be a welcome assist, and I hope, in the right place. Me and The Wife[tm] started out at the very bottom. Sis has two kids to raise. But I've found out if you don't quit or give up, eventually, something nice comes out of it.

Check in at Slant Central, and see other Slants:

The Saturday Slant - New Every Saturday Morning

No comments: