These are very interesting names, fun to say, interesting looking on a street blade. SW Market Street Drive springs, somewhat indrectly, from the upper reaches of SW Market Street, hence the name. But what about SW Ford Street Drive? Examination of the map of Portland shows no such SW Ford Street.
Isaac Laquedem solves the conundrum for us.
Lay on, Professor:
The story behind SW Ford Street and why it isn't there any more goes back to 1925, when the Ford Street Bridge was replaced by the Vista Bridge. In 1892 when the subdivision of Ardmore was platted (it lies just to the west of Vista Avenue, between Vista and Douglas), Vista Avenue was shown on the plat as Ford Street and Ardmore Avenue was named Macleay Street.Brillant follow, first class detective work. Props, all y'all, to Isaac.
When the current Vista Bridge was built, the old span was moved to Burlingame where it was pressed into service as the Terwilliger Bridge and spanned the gulch for another 60 years, until the current span was built.