12 February 2009

Pepsi: The Powell Street Station Domination

1944.The lampoon by Lawrence Yang referring to the Pepsi posters in BART's Powell Street Station set me to looking for images of the posters. Since it had designers and digerati talking about it there ought to be some documentation, Right.

Right. Here it is, courtesty of Nancy Friedman's Fritinancy. My favorite (nicked impolitely from her blog–but she took the piccy, not me!) is this one:



Yup. Sody Pop.

Such is the aim of this campaign that they apparently actually call it station domination. Be afraid, I say, be very afraid.

Such is also the sway that the mere image and thought of Pepsi has over people that the properly executed sways hearts and minds in ... unpredictable ways.

A FreeRepublic message thread I accidentally (trust me ... the existence of FreeRepublic strongly suggests that hell is full and the dead walk the earth) hit on my travels to find the above was apparently written by someone who didn't get the memo that the development of the new-look Pepsi logo had nothing to do with the devlopment of the Obama logo.

I mean, they're both in circles, right? What are the odds?

If you want to peer into the abyss, go here. You have been warned.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey! Come look at the Seattle transit tunnel. We're lucky (?) enough to have the Pepsi stuff up and all over too, mostly in the "University St." Tunnel station if memory doesn't escape me. Now I just wish Metro sold ads at any of their bus stops. What a potential loss of revenue. *sigh*

Samuel John Klein said...

Wow, you have them in the tunnel too? That's magic.

All I have to say about the whole thing is that I wish they wouldn't give these campaigns names like "station domination". I mean, it's cute and all but it doesn't exactly reassure the consumer at large that they aren't just targets to be rolled over on the way from station domination to world domination.

I love that tunnel. I've seen it a couple of times and just the look of it makes me think that Seattle had an actual tube system.

As far as that goes, I regret the current Portland downtown rail transit expansion because I thought we maybe had a grand chance to have a Portland Underground but we missed it.

I wouldn't mourn not having the ads more places anyway. I can't remember where I've read it, but I've seen many times that ad revenue for transit in most places, while it is extra income, isn't all that much usually. It's like when you take your empties back for the deposit; yes, it is, strictly speaking, extra income, but it's good for a few trips to Wendy's is all.