24 February 2009

Quick–Which One Of These Is An Actual Product?

1954.Go ahead ... tell me which one is the actual product you'll find in the freezer case:



Time's up!

Well, to be honest, it's probably not all that hard. The one on the left, of course, is the one I did.

It was a student project, done while still at PCC. I was always satisfied with it, and I always thought it shoulde that I had a decided handle on things like layout, hierarchy, type, and such. I think it hangs together rather magnificently.

The one on the right we consumed the contents out of very recently (we better have had, anyway, yes?). The designs, in my humble opinion, share very common elements–the way the type hierarchy encourages eyeflow towards the product, the way the product anchors the whole design at the bottom, the way both designs depend on blue and white to get the job done. and while my design doesn't include a shell full of cocktail sauce (which I'd of thought of something like that) the reddish-brown tone of the table surface does kind of the same job–completing the span of dark reddish color.

The point I'm making here isn't whether my design is better or worse, but I think it could creditably hold its own in the freezer case next to any other frozen product. It certainly looks like it belongs. and it must be pointed out, the thing where line becomes a wave and is followed across the product name ... I obviously came up with that one first!

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

5 comments:

Snowbrush said...

Looks good to me. The wave inside the O is a nice touch, and the smallish plate makes the salmon look big. On my monitor, the fish looks raw, but that might have nothing with how it looks "in person."

Snowbrush said...

P.S. If unicorns are buried beneath Portland, I wonder what's beneath Eugene, other than Ken Kesey, of course.

Samuel John Klein said...

Snowbrush:

thanks for the comments on the box. They tell me the box is doing the communicative job I was hoping it would.

The fish itself was bought at a local Safeway, smoked and ready-to-eat but not cooked other than the preparation it took to get it into the package. The rest of the visual is supplied my this, my first (and so far only) venture into the arcane school of practice known as "food styling"–and my highly-amateur photographic skills with a ViviCam 3705.

WRT what's buried under Eugene, I don't know either. Maybe some kind bud, who knows?

Snowbrush said...

Samuel John, I've heard that making food look tasty on packaging can be quite a discipline in itself, and that strange things are often done, things like shellacing the food in order to make it "present" well.

Samuel John Klein said...

Oofah! Yes, the dark side of food marketing. I've heard that too. For my part, I've heard of things like diluted white glue standing in for milk in cereal photos and lining the bottom of a bowl of vegetable soup with marbles to make the veggies stand proud.