23 August 2011

[logo] A Subtle Change In The Mighty KPOJ's Logo

2663.Caught a small change in the logo of my fav radio station very recently.

Logo changes can be tricky sometimes. You want to roll them out carefully. Ever since she signed on in 2003, The Mighty POJ has brought some pretty nifty program to a city that pretty much ate it right up. Making history as the first Air America affiliate, its programming became a template for other progressive talk stations to follow: local content in the morning, Ed Schultz and Randi Rhodes in the afternoon, Mike Malloy in the evenings. At the same time, it was making local history by demolishing Lars Larson in the afternoons and selling advertising like mad.

The logo's tagline said it all: Portland's Progressive Talk Station. But, loading up the POJ's homepage to listen live (as I usually do), I found it had changed just a s'kosh:

It now simply reads Portland's Talk. 


The change leaves me a little baffled, to be honest. The lineup seems as progressive as ever. I enjoy Carl Wolfson, and the syndicated content isn't changing at all.

Whatever it's supposed to mean, it's pretty much the only talk station in Portland worth listening to, as far as I'm concerned, Portland's Talk is an accurate if bold statement. Rolling out a tagline change like, that, though … I think it's reasonable to say it's left me scratching my head.

And so it goes.

NB: Once again I have to adjust the entry-numbering. If I do find out where the missing eleven postings went, I'll let you all know.

No comments: