16 August 2010

[art] My Own Private Funny Pages

2483.
What I've run into as I've let myself become addicted to webcomics and more toons in general …

There was a time extremely extremely recently when I let whimsy take its course and began devouring every comic I could find. This is something I should have done years ago. I feel as though I'm making up for lost time.

I began reading webcomics just like a lot of other people did ... with the grandaddy of them all, Sluggy Freelance. Latterly I haven't kept up with ol' Sluggy, though. It's not any less good than it ever was, but tastes change, I suppose.

It's not you, Sluggy, it's me.

There are some that I currently follow with the faithfullness tho. And the short list:

  1. Tatsuya Ishida's Sinfest (http://www.sinfest.net). I love Ishida's drawing style, his characters, the way he makes everyone in its reality real and equal in a way, though still invested with the power we give them. The Devil is evil and tortures people in a hole in the ground; God is all-powerful and in the clouds; Buddha is serene. And there is just something I'm in love with about the characters of Slick and 'Nique. I'm not sure why I like Slick so much, but I'm pretty sure with 'Nique, it's her ass. Seriously, though, it's this divine comedy as played out in a webcomic, and that makes it more satisfying than you might otherwise think.
  2. Cyanide and Happiness (http://www.explosm.net/comics/) I'll admit it; I like humor in poor taste. But you have to do it just right. C&H will never win awards for technical merit or intellectual content, but there's something cathartic about being shocked the way they do it. C&H is mad popular, probably because they "go there". CONTENT WARNING: ADULT SUBJECTS AND OFFENSIVE HUMOR. USUALLY ON THE EDGE OF NSFW, GOES OVER THAT LINE PRETTY MUCH AT WILL.
  3. Two Lumps (http://www.twolumps.net) J. Grant and Mel Hynes understand teh kittehs. They do. And that's a sure way to my heart. Also, there's a hyperpatriot teabagger goldfish (yes, you read this right).
  4. XKCD (http://xkcd.com) Because if I don't read XKCD regularly, they'll take away my geek card. Also, I've never seen anyone get so much convincing art out of stick figures. Also, 'cos he's a smarter guy than me.
  5. Facebrooks (http://powpowcomics.com) Before you say "not another autobiographical web comic", check this out. The drawing style and the pitiless self-aware humor about it are what get me here. Brooks Williams' universe seems to be regarding itself with its own jaundiced eye while celebrating itself. The characters are honest about themselves.
  6. Robot Friday (http://www.robotfriday.com/), a "webcomic for creatives" by Tom Clemmons. Plenty of game geek and graphic artist in-jokes at the start, lately he's been showing of sketchbook comics (sketchbooks excite me) and even puts up videos of himself creating some of them, Nifty!
  7. Hereville (http://www.hereville.com/) Hereville isn't a continuing webcomic, but an exceptionally magical comic book by Amptoon and Alas A Blog!'s Barry Deutsch. I gushed about it when I first found it and I return to the site and reread it every now and then because it's this intellectually tasty blend of fantasy, reality, and religious culture and young-girl empowerment all wrapped up in a retelling of an ancient fairy-tale. It's far and away the most original thing I've seen in a long time, and the eyes devour Barry's artistic style which, in the end, just turns out to be bonus. When they talk about graphic novels/comics that show just what the comic form can do, Hereville is what they're talking about.
So, it's kind of a salad, what I like these days ... a generous bed of intellectual, topped with dollops of wry and dry humor and sprinkled with the bitter herb of tasteless and edgy humor.

Anyone have any suggestions of any other coolness we may check out? Comment away!

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: