06 July 2016

[W69] Westercon 69 Memories: Ferdowsi, Scalzi, and Stross, Unlimited

3337.
Authors are gods to me. This, then, is a miniature pantheon:


On the left, JPL's "Mohawk Guy", Bobak Ferdowsi. In the middle, John Scalzi, and on the right, Charles Stross.

The panel was called Intellectual Free-for-all, and it lived up to that. They chatted about exoplanets, orbital mechanics, and Brexit. It was sardonically delightful to hear Stross ruefully observe that the first thing he does each morning (he's a Briton, in case you didn't know) is find out who's running the country today.

He lives in Britain, and he can't tell some days, so don't feel bad, fellow Americans, if you can't figure it out either.


There were barely cheap seats by the time we got there but it was worth it.

My attention was divided. I was writing some other observations in my diary at the time. I mean, at least I can say I was writing in the same room as John Scalzi and Charlie Stross. Technically, that makes me one of them.

Well, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. 

No comments: