24 March 2020

Plague Year Diary 6: The Quietest Broadway I've Ever Seen

3621
Moving on with selected scenes from today, I give you what may be one of the busiest streets in Oregon: Southwest Broadway, downtown Portland, the largest city in Oregon and the 25th-largest in the United States of America.


This, remember, was the middle of the afternoon, on a Tuesday in March, 2020, and in on a planet without a COVID-19 world tour in progress, this street would be very busy indeed. I can easily count the number of moving cars in this shot on less than two hands.

Out on the heavy east side of town, I can debate with myself whether or not this is an abnormally-light traffic load. I can't have this discussion with myself downtown, though. This is not natural. And it's kind of starting to settle in on the mind just how shut-down my hometown is now.

Also, if I suggested that I stand in the middle of Southwest Broadway to take a picture of the street, in the middle of the day, one might consider me a daredevil on the order and intelligence of Super Dave Osborne.

Yet, that's what I did just here:



As a matter of fact, I was standing, mid-block, in the middle of Southwest Broadway, between Oak and Harvey Milk Streets (that's the legendary Benson Hotel there on the immediate right, with the Federal Protective Service cruiser parked in front) for well over two or three minutes. No cars challenged me to GTF out of the way. I was in no physical danger at all.

No cars challenged me. Not one.

No comments: