08 March 2005

[design] The First Professional Thing

I don't know how far I have which toe in what door, but I've done something right.

Pariah Burke, of whom I've mentioned before in this ongoing chronicle, is making a book on Adobe Illustrator CS. He pitched the book to Sam's Publishing and they asked me to review his proposal.

That was flattering enough. And I got two free computer books for my trouble, which is, as anyone who has tech will tell you, always cool.

Well, it goes to the next level. I have just been asked to be technical editor on that book

This is amazing. I feel like the ugly duckling that got invited to the party.

It won't make me rich. But it will pay most of a mortgage payment. And that's not the whole point either. Being able to contribute to the success of someone I admire, helping spread knowledge on a good bit of software. And, yes, of course, it'll look good amongst my still scanty curriculum vitae.

But one has to start somewhere. And I have nothing but gratitude for this good fortune.

No comments: