31 March 2005

[pcc_life] Tales from the Breach:No Rest for The Weary

So, I've spent the entire night (the last two-three hours of it anyway) going through my CD-Rs of my saved work and hauling bits and pieces out of storage to put together a selection of what I consider my bestest work to take into the first session of Portfolio Prep tomorrow.

See, this is why I think designers and design students are some of the best people in the world. One menches, "hey, you're in the Portfolio class too, aren't you?"

You see, due to exterior pressures I've taken three years to go through the program. Me and just a few other stragglers from the class who entered in 2002 are finishing up now. But we designers seem to know our own.

"Why, yes," I said.

"Well, you do know that you have to bring your stuff in, don't you."

"I didn't know that", I replied.

"Yes," she said, "Precious told us we should get together what we feel is our best stuff to start our portfolios with."

And then it came back to me. If I were on the normal track, the progression would be from Professional Studio Practices, where we ginned up our first personal promo, straight into Portfolio Prep, and that's just what Precious Bugarin, the appropriately-named instructor (the "Precious" part, silly...I don't know that a "Bugarin" is supposed to look like, per se) told us as we left that course that we should gather up that sort of thing.

I tucked it into the back of my mind at the time. Once I recalled that (thanks to the prompting), I found I had a very good idea of what constitutes my "best" stuff, so the selection was fairly easy. What surprised me was that I had so much of it. Logos, a couple of newsletters, a magazine concept, a few illos.

Actually, I've come quite a way in three years. And the Columbia Overlook, a real-world app, should go quite a ways, I think. I even have an InDesign project from last year. that I liked. So, right now, I have this bulging folder in my Dock called "Portfolio" that I'm going to cull when I get up.

And if it wasn't for that fellow GD student who started a year after I did, I'd not of come in with anything. I tell you, my friends, my people, we designers, we are a tribe. Quote me on that.

No comments: