11 March 2005

[sundial_life] Best. Concert. Evar.

NOTA BENE: Some adult language in this post, splat-substituted for the TV-G crowd. A UNIX reference is used to obscure one instance.

We just returned from the Duran Duran concert, after a side trip to the Hot Cake House (you know the one, on SE Powell Blvd) to get some real food down us.

I overheard a fellow concertgoer say "I'm 20 years late for Duran Duran." As am I. But, fsck, it was worth the wait!!!!

I feel sorry for you if you couldnt make it to the concert. This was a peak experience.

My ears are still ringing and my throat is still coarse.

The concert got underway at 8pm. Some extremely forgettable band that couldn't even be bothered to announce thier own name. They did have one cute and acid song about how the lead's ex-girlfriend drove a black Jetta and now he sees black Jettas everywhere and he thinks he was stalking her.

Now, we got seats in the 220 section. Row "O". That's two rows below the top in the back left corner. Hell, like I said, I was just thankful to be there. And then, after the opening act concludes, we get a boon...a Rose Garden employee comes up to our level and starts counting us off to get moved forward. Me and The Wife[tm] jump at it, of course. We move lower...and up to 111 section. We are sittlng at the same level as the concourse and just back of the front row of the floor section.

I feel as though I could jump onto the stage without much effort.

After what seems an eternal wait, the lights go down, and the boys come out. Cue two solid hours of bliss. The energy in that room was fscking amazing. To see musicians I have idolized since the 1980's out there, in front of me, doing music I'd always listened to on LPs and then CDs...

Simon LeBon was still saucy. Andy Taylor was still wild. John Taylor was still cool. Roger Taylor was still intense and serious. And Nick Rhodes was...well, still Nick Rhodes

It was the loudest, most energetic, most soaring experience I've ever had. I now feel like I have a piece of DD for my very own, one that nobody can ever take away from me. For two and a half hours (don't tell me they don't give value for money!) I was part of thier world, and they gave me back in equal measure.

Duran Duran is quite probably the best band...evar.

Highlights:
* A drop-dead gorgeous female backup singer in a tiny skirt. She had..those kind of legs. Yes, you know the kind. Use the standard joke.
* A fairly gory anime backup video for the song "Careless Memories". This had to be seen to be believed. The boys have always looked good. They were devastatng as manga-characters. Roger, in particular, throws a mean pair of cymbals. And, not only did they defeat ninja bad-guys, they brought down an alien invasion and Godzilla's second cousin.
* There is nothing at all like being able t sing the "Sha-la-la-la" intro to "The Reflex" with about 20,000 of your closest friends.
* 20-30 minute encores RAWK. Especially when they include "Rio" and "Girls on Film"
* I forgive Andy Taylor for trying to go off to be a solo guitar hero when he should have stuck with the band.
* Simon LeBon has a dry wit. He duly informed the house that John Taylor doesn't play bass, he plays 'f**king bass'. What is that? Well, it's an excuse for him to lead the house in a chant of 'play that f**king bass, John, play that f**king bass, John..."
* Simon can carry off "The Chauffeur" with panache. That and a black coat and a black cap. Sizzling.

My ears should stop ringing by this time tomorrow.

Damn. Those boys can put on a show!!!

No comments: