21 July 2004

At Least The Question Is Still "If"

The amazingly ham-handed floating of the trial balloon, over the last few weeks, of the possible suspension of elections if there were another major al-Qaeda strike on the ConUS made me think back, oh, two years or so.

After the chaos of the 2000 elections had time to sink in, and the horror that is 9/11 precipitated, knowing that the Republicans are ruthless and cynical graspers at power, I'll bet it occurred to many people that the Bush Administration might connive some way to stay in power that mere votes could not contradict.

I remember thinking that these were the sorts who would take advantage of another national tragedy to remain in power. Mind, I'm not saying that they would collude on such a thing. Those now in power would not hesitate to take advantage of any situation that presented itself...that's my point.

Ted Rall had arrived at that conclusion last year. But, as I said, he's smarter than most of us.

Besides, if there were another major attack on ConUS, wouldn't that be evidence that, prima facie, would indicate that the Bush Admin has been fiddling around and screwing up instead of protecting America?

I would think so.

No comments: