14 October 2004

[sundial_life] The Day After Tomorrow DVD

Me and The Wife[tm] finally got a chance to see the TDAT DVD that she got me for our anniversary. After a long full day of makin' art at PCC and watching a recording of the third debate (Kerry won), mixed myself a rum and Dr Pepper and sat back.

The bottom line for this is that, if you really like the movie, you'll want to have it. If you're neutral or didn't care for the movie, you'll want to rent it or wait until a 'directors cut' or something comes out.

The movie is fine. The extras are lame, lame, lame! Promised is DVD-ROM content that provides access to over an hour of behind the scenes content. Hot Damn! But it's only compatible with Win 2000/XP...and not Macintosh! Crap!

Thanks, Rupert! Value for money! Especially if, I understand correctly, the DVD-ROM information links out to a website. I can't be sure. And I won't find out, because my hot PowerMac G4 isn't good ennough for 20th Century Fox to market to.

There is commentary. I haven't listened to it yet, as I was interested in reliving the movie experience. I'll listen to the comments later. However, if the director's commentary is as bland and banal as the stuff for Independence Day, it won't be worth showing up for.

There is a featurlet called "Inside Look", which isn't an inside look at TDAT, but an inside look at Fox films that are coming up. Which, in the main, I'm not interested in. Also uninteresting is the trailers for movies I don't plan on seeing stuck on on the front of the DVD (which you can't use the Menu key to get round).

There is one extra worth seeing. It's an interactive demo that gives you an idea of how sound happens in a film. The demo centers on the scene of the doomed RAF helicopter expedition to rescue the Royal Family from Balmoral, when the helos fly out of the storm into the eye and are then annihilated by the -150F downdraft. The scene can be played and replayed with just the sound effects, only the mechanical sounds, only the dialogue, only the Foley effects, or use the Audio button to cycle between sound layers. It was actually very interesting and fun. Didn't make up for the absoute dearth of extras, but it was interesting and fun.

Bottom line: if you can't bear living without this movie, go ahead and get the disc. If you only have a Mac, though, learn to like doing without most of the extras. If you buy DVDs for the extras, and are not a big fan of this movie, wait until it goes on sale somewhere.

I love the movie, but I feel like we've been had.

No comments: