16 December 2004

[blog_life] Amit Explains Mystery Referrers

In a comment to my previous post "The BlogPatrol Report", I wondered aloud how I could get referrers that don't mention me in thier 'blogs anywhere. An astute Indian 'blogger (the sort of Indian who calls Delhi his capital city, that is), Amit Varma, resident of Mumbai (which is what most of America is probably not aware they're calling Bombay these days (crack a book, people!)) thankfully chimes in with the following:
"This happens when someone clicks on "next blog" on the blogger toolbar at the top, and they get taken to a random blog on blogspot. So these sites which supposedly "referred" you don't actually have a link to you, it's just someone clicking that button."

So that explains it. For those who aren't aware or don't usually visit blogger/blogspot, there is a Blogger bar that increases the functionality of it all. There is a Search box to search the individual 'blog (which rarely seems to work right), a "Blog This!" button, and on the far left, a "Get Your Own Blog" button and a "Next Blog" button.

They want to make it as easy as possible for you not only to put up your own sage work but also browse about for other blogs. I suppose the next step is to get census lists and put up blog sites for everyone, because...well, you just never know.

Anyway, that's how I got all those odd referrers. I still will post the most interesting from time to time, as I find the randomness of it all rather amusing and appealing.

Amit, by the way, has one of the sites that mysteriously referred to me: India Uncut, and another interesting site The Middle Stage. Both very interesting and worth a read.

No comments: