20 December 2004

[pdx_airwaves] One More Note About Jimmy Hollister

A dear correspondent has pointed out to me something I"ve noticed that's really kind of sad.

A few days ago, long time Portland radio personality Jimmy Hollister passed away in California. At least KEX put up an obit, but when I tried to Google it up, it wasn't there.

Shame on you, KEX.

For the better part of the last two years, Jimmy had a weekend show on KPAM. Not one single word on KPAM.

Double-shame on you, KPAM. But then a station that broadcasts Sean Hannity can't have all that much pride.

Jimmy provided a warm, friendly voice that caused me to fall in love with Portland and Portland radio when I was but a boy in Silverton. He deserves some due. Would it have hurt you all that much to have mentioned it with a little more reverence? Or at all.

But then that's the way it is, I guess. The Everyman who forms part of the glue that makes our mundane lives connect from moment to moment and gives it its special quality is usually not ever celebrated.

Well, I'll do it. Right here.

No comments: