06 March 2008

[pdx_photo] HDR Image of Portland Skyline On A Cloudy Day

1404.


Portland, Oregon, HDR images


One of our favorite views of the downtown skyline is travelling down SE Morrison Street from 12th Avenue inwards. This view was made with the ViviCam 3705, with EVs of -1.8, 0, and +1.8, and merged to HDR using Photoshop CS3 extended.


I have mentoned that I love this program. I make animations, I make amateur HDR images with it. It's genius.


The genius of HDR images, then, is the way it brings the shadowed images out and makes it a little more luminous overall. The brights come out a little brighter but retain some detail. But the most interesting thing is the way that the street, which was always changing, leaves afterimages that make of the traffic kind of another world embedded in the common one. The green light on the signal leaves a ghostly halo. Brake lights down the street leave thier palimpsest.


Tags: , , , , ,


Powered by Qumana


3 comments:

Admin said...

Neato. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I used to live in the Melcliffe apartments and had a view much like this daily, my how i miss it!

Samuel John Klein said...

Thanks folks for commenting.

@CPMCD2000; I'm glad you liked it. It was fun to get and kind of involving to do that sort of thing. I can't get a very deep HDR image - the ViviCam 3705 is a real sport but you run up against its limitations real quick - but then you get little things like the afterimages of the moving cars and the haloes of the traffic signals make it kind of worth it.

@adeline: The first place I actually lived in in Portland was a house on SE 12th, on the block north of that old bingo hall (the one that used to be a "bingo church" and was the BEO bingo until a couple of years ago) That view of Portland is very dear to me, it's almost like an old friend.

If I could take a picture of the image i see when I actually look at it, that would be an interesting one indeed ...