29 May 2021

The Johan Poulsen House at 130

3915

I've mentioned this house before but I've never had my own image of it. Thanks to last Wednesday, I've several. 

 

This is the Johan Poulsen House, built in 1891 by the namesake timber baron. In the year 2021, it's 130 years old. It could be Portland's most visible example of the Queen Anne style (BITD I called it Victorian, which I believe now is incorrect to say), and in as much as it's prominently positioned on McLoughlin just south of the east end of the Ross Island Bridge, it's downright impossible to ignore. 

Not that you'd want to ignore it; it's quite a lovely sight. Back in '16, it went up for sale and was acquired by a local media production company and why not, what a signature place for something like that, but they only held it form '17 to '19. It is apparently on the market again.

Back when it originally was for sale, I fantasized:

... a signature landmark with nearly 5,000 square feet of living space, and enough bedrooms that you can move your salon in. Which is exactly what I'd do. I'd take me, The Wife™, our felines, and a few friends who deserve to be admired and we'd all go there and be awesome together. Hell, I'd research the dimensions of the Algonquin Round Table, have a replica made, have it put in the room with the best view (it sits on the nose of a bluff overlooking the east end of the Ross Island Bridge and with nearly unobstructed exposure to downtown Portland and most of the inner east side, I mean, imagine the views!) and we'd just be brilliant together.

... and I'd still do it, I'll tell you. I'm awesome enough to carry it off, and I'd be adorable at it. 

Just need that money and fame (the right kind). I mean, I'm here available for it, and I'm absolutely certain I could handle the wealth and fame. 

In a world where some kid got famous for mumbling catch me outside, how about that? there ought to be room for me to be profitably brilliant. 

No comments: