24 May 2021

You Can Get There From Here

3897

This is the big ol' sign on the Marquam Bridge which, if you're travelling northbound on I-5, tells you where you can take it, pal.


It's a good and actually useful piece of trivia to know that the exit tying I-5 and I-84 together is at I-5 MP 300. That makes it quick work to figure how far and how long: the first exit into Salem, at Chemawa Rd at the edge of Keizer, is at exit 260, which means a little less than an hour south. The last Oregon exit on I-5, exit 308, is less than ten minutes north, except during rush hour, when it's an hour and an half. 

And California is 300 miles away, backthataway. 

One destination cited is The Dalles. The Dalles is one of just a handful of towns in the USA that begin with "The", amongst them, The Woodlands, TX; The Village, OK; The Plains, VA; and The Hell Did I End Up Here, NV. 

I may have made one of these up.

Follow me for more geographical tips.

No comments: