10 June 2021

News Lane, Seattle, 2010

3936

Another thing that leapt to the fore as I was reviewing (and, it must be said, pining a bit) over the photos I took in Seattle in 2010 on me and the Brown Eyed Girl's 20th marriage anniversary.

I was, of course, out for interesting street names and signage. That should go without saying by now but it ups my logorrheic quotient so here I am for you.

Here, in August of 2010, was a sign that struck my fancy on more than one level.

This was taken at, as near as I can determine, where News Lane crosses Pike Street. The named alley (that's all it is really) runs between 1st an 2nd Avenues. It's quite close to the famous Public Market. 

Any connection to any news, organization or otherwise, had left the Lane long ago. While the old P-I building is in the area, that might have been a coincidence, for all I knew. Or know.

Here's an angle on the street itself, looking south from Pike:


I could have a fugitive-drama or hard-boiled story set here. I'm getting heavy Harry In Your Pocket vibes. I'm charmed by the toy-camera fade out on the margins, which is a thing of mystery because I took this with the legendary ViviCam 3705, which wasn't that sophisticated.

This is a view looking north.


The only question on my mind about this photo is which cross street I was at when I took it. The angle on the building at the far end of the way indicates it's at Stewart Street, where the grid pivots to follow the bay short, and with only about block's distance, this should be at Pine Street. I also recall begnning to be very tired from walking all over Seattle's downtown, enjoying the views, but in terribly inappropriate shoes. An additional block, even going from Pike to Pine, would have been intimidating at that point. Yet the visual information leaves me no other reasonable alternative to assume.

We're planning on seeing the Oregon Coast later this year and making up for the fact that our 30th anniversary came during a pandemic year with about a dozen other centrifugal forces messing everything up. But do I want to be with her in Seattle at least one more time? Yes, Yes I do.

Current searches of the area on Google Street View show no evidence of the blade, though it is still noted as such on Google Maps.

No comments: