13 June 2021

Bridge Day #2: The Fremont Bridge

3942

Bridge number two of Bridge Day is one of the ones built during my lifetime. As a matter of fact, I got to watch it on TV ... had to, I'd say. I was living in Silverton at the time.

The Fremont Bridge was the final link in the inner city freeway loop that is formed by I-5 and I-405. It is a tied-arch bridge, and made news because the center of the span was fabricated in California, assembled just downriver on Swan Island, and barged from Swan Island to the worksite, where it was hoisted into place using 32 giant hydraulic jacks. 

They telecast the beginning of the lift early one evening in March 1973. I don't know how long it took but the allotted program time wasn't near enough long, I'm certain.

A schoolkid at the time, I made numerous drawings on looseleaf. It became something of an obsession.


It's almost 400 feet up to the top of that arc from the river. It also has a nest of peregrine falcons.

No comments: