04 June 2021

Seattle From The Space Needle, August 2010

3926

I accidentally took a detour into a certain folder for reasons only my psyche knows right now. 

It's August 2010, and me and the Brown Eyed Girl were in Seattle. It was our 20th wedding anniversary. It was the kind of adventure that we have far too infrequently, and we wanted to do something similar for last year - our 30th - but last year was shit on more than one level, for the world and for us personally.

But then, in August 2010, the world was still pretty bright and shiny, and she wanted, amongst other things, to show me what it was like travelling to Seattle on rail, something she did as a child to see relatives. And, me, well, I've always been kind of fond of Seattle ... well, as much as a Portland chauvinist can be.

The old ViviCam 3705, in all its 3.2 MPx glory, recorded some stuff. Ought to go back with the camera I have now, we ought. Hell, we ought to just go back. I owe her that much.

This is the ol' Plastic Fantastic recording a much-recorded view: downtown Seattle, dusk encroaching, Tahoma/Mt Rainier dominating the horizon in that dominating way it dominates. It's a brute of a mountain, broad-shouldered, blunt, and massive where Wy'east is delicately drawn and modestly-positioned. I will say I prefer my home volcano, but Tahoma is certainly nothing to scoff at (as is true with its potential lahars)


Seattle is an improbable city to me. Skyscrapers that are much too tall stand rocksolid on downtown hills that are far too steep to hold them, but somehow they do; a massive city on a narrow neck of land. To this simple provincial, it's a place that's bewildering as it is pretty.

I'd like to go back and visit again. We have a deferred celebration to think of.

No comments: