03 February 2008

[bloggage, design] Q Interviews Me, Question 2

1322.


The Question 2 has a point that is a cruel, cruel thing; you can wish to your heart's content, but eventually the Great Impaling 10-Foot-Pole of You Wished One Time Too Many will get you.


So, what do do? No amount of proven wish fulfillment is worth eventually getting holed by a 10-foot (or 7.2 centipedes in the fretric system) piece of metal. That's some ouchie.


I figured that five wishes, appropriately stated, would set it up so that I could pump up the world and not put myself in mortal danger (sure, getting impaled might not kill me ... but I'm already rolling the dice on getting impaled to begin with. I didn't want to roll those dice two times. I usually can't win Yahtzee; I'm taking the hint).


I don't believe in greed or in making things too easy, so I get something cool for myself, nifty for everyone else. That's everyone, whether I like you or not. And if we did have space travel, I'd be so there for that Moon picnic. I lurves me some Safeway fried chicken and Reser's mac salad (yes, it's got to be Reser's. I love the taste, and they make it in Beaverton. Like I said, terrior, baby, even in heart-attack-inducing convenience foods).


And at the end, since everyone is human, including me, we remove the temptation by removing the ability. With hope, my choices added the possiblilty that the world in general will get what it needs by giving it the tools to for people to get there.


I'm also all about the tools.


Yeah, it's all pretty corny maybe. But this took more than a little thought. And I really do believe that stuff.


Graphically, the challenge I gave myself was to reduce each thought to an icon. I forced myself to think simple and small and quick; each one of those icons took less than 15 minutes to design. I went to the heart of each concept, oversimplifying it to get straight to the root of how I thought each thought mattered; resources are money in this society; good people indicate with the halo; my logo (which really ought to be more famous), the mathematical society for absolute equality (it is what it says) which I saw on a bumper sticker some years back; a 1950s era rocket ship (also referencing the time when we all thought we'd have mass-market space travel by now), and a STOP sign (that's it, and no mistake).


If anyone was curious, all graphics were assembled in Adobe Illustrator CS3, which is the tool of choice if I want it quick, simple, and graphic. I really love Illy.


Tags: , ,


No comments: