21 February 2008

[liff] Why Oregon Astronauts Are Cooler Than Everyone Else's

1382. Because who else would write about how space smells?:



The best description I can come up with is metallic; a rather pleasant sweet metallic sensation. It reminded me of my college summers where I labored for many hours with an arc welding torch repairing heavy equipment for a small logging outfit. It reminded me of pleasant sweet smelling welding fumes. That is the smell of space.



Maybe it's because we Oregonians, raised in the greatest environment in the lower 48, tend to pay attention to what's around us. Being smug about being a native-born Oregonian, I like to think that we are a little more 'dialled-in' about our natural surroundings than your average bear.


Oregonians make excellent artists and writers, and cool astronauts who notice the unusual even in the most unusual human surroundings (and what would be ususal about the ISS?). And thanks to Don Pettit, we all have some idea of what it's like to be Up There.


And to think, his grandpa (or uncle ... I don't really know, it was Silverton's Dr. Pettit who had an office as First and Main on the 2nd floor) delivered me into this world. Here's to you, Don Pettit!


Tags: , , ,


Powered by Qumana


2 comments:

stan said...

Carthage claims its own astronaut, too - it even says so on the "Welcome to Carthage" sign (though it's hard to get a photo at 70 mph) - although I can't find anywhere on the Inner Net where she talks about space smells.

She has mentioned future Moon bases, though, so that's pretty cool.

Samuel John Klein said...

That's something to be proud of, and no mistake.

And it's cool that she talks about moonbases. We should have had them by at least 1999.

On the other hand, Martin Landau and Barbara Bain are a little old to be rocketing off to the moon ...

Serously, I think we should have had moonbases already. I'm part of that generation. Better late than never; I'd just be happy to see them in my lifetime.