03 February 2008

[liff, me] I Am Quoted In The San Francisco Chronicle

1324. A short time ago I exchanged Email with a reporter with the SF Chronicle, Chris Cadelago by name, who had espied an article I'd written for Designorati some time back about campaign stickers, and he asked me my opinions on the current crop.


Today the article went live on SFGate.com. It's a rocket ride around a group of opnions from a group of people who have a variety of POVs (he correctly identified me as a liberal opinion). There's lefties, righties, center-ies – its about the message a political bumper sticker can communicate and how we view 'em.


It was really pretty well done, and cool to see my words in print, carrying the Designorati banner, in national publication.


See you guys! I told you I was smart and cool!


Cutting to the chase, here's my bit:



Samuel John Klein, an editor and production manager at the online graphic design magazine Designorati, says it's the bold, unconventional styles that impress him the most. In 1936, Kansas Gov. Alf Landon challenged the incumbent Franklin D. Roosevelt by using an orange and yellow sunflower as his medallion. In 1952, Dwight Eisenhower opted for a picture of himself along with the slogan "I Like Ike." And Jimmy Carter's green sticker with white text read simply, "Gimmie Jimmy."



"That (Carter sticker) stuck out like a sore thumb," said Klein, of Portland, Ore. "Or, in the wake of Watergate, a cool breath of fresh air."



Creatively, perhaps the best-known presidential campaign sticker came from Sen. Barry Goldwater's 1964 run. Dubbed "The Goldwater Formula," it condensed his last name to "Au H20," symbols from the periodic table signifying gold and water.



Klein is impressed by several of the stickers in this election cycle. He said that the font on Clinton's sticker "is classic and yet (its) friendly appearance seems to suggest the combination of sophisticated smarts and affability."



Obama's sticker, with its red, white and blue forming a circular landscape, is clever and depicts vision, while John Edwards' green comet trail gives a nod to issues like global warming, he said.



On the Republican side, Klein said that Mike Huckabee's American-flag-themed bumper sticker, with gold lettering and the words "Faith, Family and Freedom," feels comfortable and homespun. Romney's bald eagle over red, white and blue is simple and safe, "You know what he stands for," Klein said.



My comments take up a considerable part of the article. Yay, me!


Tags: , , , , , ,


Powered by Qumana

6 comments:

Kevin Allman said...

I enjoyed the article. Go you!

Samuel John Klein said...

Yez. Kool Beeeenz!

Thanks, Kevin

Anonymous said...

Good article, and your comments were great! I'm glad to see the Chronicle went to the expert on this one.

Samuel John Klein said...

And, hey, I got to carry the Designorati flag into battle. What could be better than that?

stan said...

Awesome, Sam! I know somebody famous now!

Samuel John Klein said...

Yes, indoody. Indeed, I expect the national love affair with me to start any moment now.

Actually, it would be kind of cool if that happened.