16 September 2004

The Best View of Downtown Portland...

...is from a car hurtling northbound on Interstate 5, on the top deck of the Marquam Bridge. Actually, the best views of central Portland proper are eyes left as you are going counterclockwise on the I-5/I-405 loop circling the Portland City Center, including an extremely inspirational view of the Fremont Bridge (my favorite bridge of any kind, not including suspension spans). The catch is, of course, you have to be on your toes if you're going to be taking in the view. You're in freeway traffic (The Wife[tm] was piloting my mobile platform. Best if you get a friend to drive whilst you look, then get off at the Rose Quarter exit and swap, get back on the freeway. It's really gorgeous at night, but I haven't found a way to stop and get a photo yet...there is no emergency shoulder to speak of on that bridge.

No comments: