28 September 2004

[pcc_life] Sudden School Tectonic Shifts

I attended the first session of ART 117, Basic Design 3 today.

Whoa.

Here's what's up about that. At Portland Community College, there is a three-course sequence in Basic Design. ART 115, BD1, is designing in black and white, learning things like contrast, value, and such. I enjoyed that course; I find that real triumph comes in learning how to operate in limited spaces or within a restricted canon. If anyone ever goes into the cafeteria at PCC Sylvania College Center, you'll see a large wall hanging which is a scaled-up representation of an M.C. Escher. It was done by several design students independently, each given a section of the drawing.

I did the one in the middle, four rows down.

ART 116, BD2, is the same thing, only using color. I don't recall too much from that, though I did get a lot of experience in working gouache.

This year, I'm backfilling requirements I didn't hit earlier. ART 117 was a natural choice.

I had no idea what I was getting into.

117's title is "three-dimensional design". That means things like sculpture, building stuff, a lot of technical things I have no time or patience or lack skill for. The first project, due in just two weeks time, is a bit of 'wearable' art, themed for the political season.

Actually, I don't have a problem with politically-themed stuff. And the instructor, to her credit, wasn't expecting everyone to be all pro-Kerry, anti-Bush (altho I don't have a problem with that, either). The point was to express yourself politically regardless of your leaning and become a part of history during the parade the class would have when the 'costumes' were done.

Yes. Here I have this overcommitted life, still working forty-a-week at The Company Who Must Not Be Named, and now I have to construct something with chicken-wire and papier-mache in two weeks? AND have a political theme to it?

Oh, gosh. Well, I guess my head a splode.

So, I went right back to myPCC and did what I should have done all along, sign up for ART237 Life Drawing. I thought that drawing nekkid people would freak me out, but not as much as having to be "brilliant" and "magical" on demand. Sure, the only section still open that would work is a six-hour weekly session on Fridays, which makes Fridays one helluvalongday, with ten hours at TCWMNBN followed by one hour to get my butt up to school, but now I do have Tuesdays clear to make up for it. It seemed an even trade, all things considered.

I already carry this house's full income on my back. Please. I love my schooling, but I need just one course I can phone it in on.

No comments: