16 September 2004

...I Finally Have Gmail, Read down for the SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

In celebration of my 100th post, which, by Blogger's count, was about 4 posts ago, I am pleased to announce that I am now amongst the Invited. My life is now complete, except for that I don't have the Maltese Falcon yet. But I'm still looking for it.

It came to me after I quit actively looking for it; life's ironic, found my The Wife[tm] that way. Following up to a post I found on fellow ORblogger Foobario Frobnitzil's (a/k/a Michael) site wither in the light

AND NOW THE SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Foobario saieth he hath (in hith wordth) "like a dozen more to give away". To get your chance at a free gmail invite, clicky yourself hence:

wither in the light;even more gmail. Post a follow up to this. And give his website a read and give him some love in the form of warm fuzzy comments. I fancy my readership of ten or twelve people are polite and intelligent, so remember to keep up appearances.

(The author notes his visitor counter at 191 at the time of this post. hmmm, hmmmm....)

3 comments:

Gr8fulTed said...

You might want to check out this site regardin gmail: http://gmail-is-too-creepy.com/

Samuel John Klein said...

Actually, I have. I've read that and also Google's responses (available at http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/more.html, or click "A few words about Gmail and Privacy" on the Gmail front page at http://gmail.google.com).

I feel that Google has good responses to the criticisms levelled at them. I also acknowledge that concerns exist. Google-is-too-creepy spells them out well.
That is why, despite having a Gmail account, I still maintain two others: zehnkatzen@yahoo.com, and my first and still original, maintained continuously for over ten years: eagle@agora.rdrop.com. Each has its purpose and privacy expectations.

If, after evaluating all the info you have, decide that Gmail isn't for you, then no harm done; there are plenty of free webmail services (Yahoo!'s is free and offers 100Mb, which is no Gig but is nothing to sneeze at either).

And, personally, having a Gmail account exposes me no more or less than having one here at agora (which must respond to subpoenas under law) or Yahoo! (which advertises at me nonstop anyway.

Mia said...

When I got my Gmail account I was all kinds of excited...then it stopped working and I'm back with yahoo. It's the lesser of two evils right now.

Mia
(http://zedsdead.cjb.net/)