12 May 2008

[us_politik] US House republicans To Mothers: Drop Dead

1544. Well, my head asplode:



It was already shaping up to be a difficult year for congressional Republicans. Now, on the cusp of Mother's Day, comes this: A majority of the House GOP has voted against motherhood.

On Wednesday afternoon, the House had just voted, 412 to 0, to pass H. Res. 1113, "Celebrating the role of mothers in the United States and supporting the goals and ideals of Mother's Day," when Rep. Todd Tiahrt (R-Kan.), rose in protest.

"Mr. Speaker, I move to reconsider the vote," he announced.



Later:



House Minority Leader John Boehner, asked yesterday to explain why he and 177 of his colleagues switched their votes, answered: "Oh, we just wanted to make sure that everyone was on record in support of Mother's Day."

By voting against it?



I'm sure there's a sane explanation for that. Oh, I can't find it. But I'm sure there is one. Somewhere.


I know I'm late to the party on this one. I thought it was a joke at first. Then it took me another day just to scoop my jaw back up off the floor.


The republican party of the USA: Keepin' it classy since 1854.


Tags: , , , ,


Powered by Qumana

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh. I hate them.

Samuel John Klein said...

Now, if I were a Democrat on a national level, I'd be shouting this one from the rooftops ...

Voting for Gordon Smith is Voting for the party that Hates Mom. Good luck with that, America!

stan said...

Maybe they don't like celebrating mothers only on one day, but on every day of the year? I dunno.

stan said...

Not that it matters, but there were actually several women who revoted against, including one with five kids...

Samuel John Klein said...

Well, Stan, it does kind of matter that several women objected ... but since my head already asploded over the pointless objection to and voting against what was, at its essence, just a pro-forma acknolwedgement that "Moms are great", the kind governments do all the time, all I can do is just scratch my head over it.