3838A hard-to-miss feature of Joseph Wood Hill Park is this; a monument with the face of the man who is its namesake.
Joseph Wood Hill came to Oregon in the late 1800s and opened a military academy in what is now NW Portland in 1901. Subsequently, in 1931, it moved to the foot of Rocky Butte, on its NW side; the Hill Military Academy existed there until 1959. The property, including many of the old buildings, is populated by the Portland Bible College and the northeast Portland branch of City Bible Church.
Many of the street names in the area around where NE 92nd Avenue and Fremont Street merge were inspired by the presence of the old military academy.