25 November 2007

[meme] ZehnKatzen's Weekly Winners #2: Sleepy State Street, Salem

1150. For this week's winner, I chose another photo of downtown Salem Oregon late on a Thanksgiving afternoon:

This is State Street, Salem, looking east from Liberty Street, approximately 3:15 PM, Thanksgiving 2007.

No, there aren't a bunch of invisible people there. Downtown Salem is that empty after hours and on holidays. Now, as I've said before, I'm very fond of my capital city. I grew up in Salem and was born just up the road in Silverton. Salem is in by blood and my background.

But it is a city of 150,000–but by this photo, you wouldn't know it. Practially everyone has, literally, gone home. The Lege is the biggest show in town, and that only happens once every two years.

That's Salem for you. Great place to be from.

Salem: Oregon's Tacoma.


Technorati Tags: ,,,,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it!!! What a great shot. :D

Lotus (Sarcastic Mom) said...

I love photos like this. It's like I'm actually standing on the street myself.

Anonymous said...

This is a great photo.
The street looks really quiet, peaceful. It draws you in.

Anonymous said...

So peaceful, so quiet!

Samuel John Klein said...

Thanks for the feedback, peoples!

Salem is that way–pleasant, funny, contradictory. The kind of place that's cool to be in but still so slow that not only do they roll up the sidewalks early some days, some days they don't get 'em out at all!

Heather said...

Looks like a wonderful place...I've been through Oregon on our way from Alaska to California. I would love to live there...so beautiful!