14 April 2008

[logo_design] Indigo Frog Part 1: Notes and Chat With Judy

1486. (From The ZehnKatzen Notebooks) I know not how exactly every logo designer starts working, but as likely as not we all start by talking to the client. We get the measure of who we want to work for; the prospective consumer sizes us up.


It's important. They're paying good money.


Indigo Frog LogoMy office for this process was the Fireside Coffee Lodge, down on 12th and Powell. My confere, Judy, proprietrix of the knitblog Persistent Illusion. Beyond any other thing that was a thing, meeting Judy was very nice. Bloggers around here like to meet an interview occaisonally, and for the record I found Judy to be very warm, friendly, genuine, and an ideal client – one who had a very good idea of what she wanted.


Indigo Frog Press is Judy's incipient publishing enteprise. A logo is a visual peg you can hang your perceptual coat on. The various parts that eventually went into this had things to say about the creative process, change, good augury; I found out some interesting things:



  • A frog is also the name of a tool used in knitting.

  • Indigo dye (which is what makes your blue jeans blue) is quite an amazing substance. It goes through a transformation to do what it does. The dye gets cooked down and becomes clear. The color returns to the dyed fabric after it cools.

  • The transformation of the tadpole to frog is well known.

  • The frog is an animal that augurs good luck and wealth according to Chinuk legend, and are treated with respect in order that the blessings pertain.

  • The frog's transformative change speaks to spring, growth, birth.


I made few notes. Some people communicate with intention that leaves an impression, and Judy is one of those people. I got a very good idea of the mood and spirit (or at least I thought I did), and images began to develop in my mind as we spoke.


Deciding we were copasetic, we signed the contract after making sure we all understood the terms thereon. A further meeting was scheduled, and we broke; there were sketches to develop! The conversation had gotten the gears spinning almost immediately; clients are cool that way.


And I had ideas.


Tags: , , , , ,


Powered by Qumana


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked meeting you, too! I love meeting other bloggers, anyway. But even better is how well we could work together to create my little frog, which I love.

BTW, "frog" is not a tool. It's a term in knitting that means unraveling the fabric. It's called that because you "rip it, rip it." We are a punny bunch, we knitters. I forgive you for not knowing that. :-)

Froggins is transformative also. The fabric is unmade, but the yarn can then be knit into something else. Destruction to foster creation.